Les chiffres - orthographe
French Grammar (see all French Grammar tips)
Want to improve your French? Test our online French lessons for free!
Les chiffres - orthographeThe spelling of larger numbers in French can be complicated. Here are some basic rules.
• For numbers ending in ‘one’, et is used:
vingt et un twenty one
cinquante et un fifty one
• Except for these 2 numbers:
quatre-vingt-un eighty one
quatre-vingt-onze ninety one
• A hyphen is used for numbers less than 100:
vingt-quatre twenty four
soixante-quinze seventy five
• Cent and vingt take an ‘s’ if there are more than one. If they are followed by more digits then no ‘s’ is needed:
deux cents two hundred
huit cent quatre eight hundred and four
quatre cent quatre-vingts four hundred and eighty
quatre cent quatre-vingt-quatre four hundred and eighty four
• Mille doesn’t take an ‘s’ in the plural:
quatre mille four thousand
• Million and milliard are nouns, so take an ‘s’ in the plural:
vingt millions twenty million
Still having difficulties with Les chiffres - orthographe? Want to improve your French? Test our online French lessons and receive a free level assessment!
Do you have smart way of remembering this rule? A tip to avoid making a mistake on Les chiffres - orthographe? Share it with us!